Welcome to Townsville
Townsville, located in North Queensland is the gateway to the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef, wet tropics rainforest, tropical islands, wetlands, national parks and historical, military and outback experiences. First, get your bearings atop Castle Hill. Just three feet short of a mountain this giant pink granite monolith is the best vantage point for views of the city, Cleveland Bay and Magnetic Island.
The Townsville inner-city is divided into five distinct “precincts” offering restaurants, cafes, bars, shopping, entertainment, attractions and nightlife.
- Palmer Street – on the city’s south bank captures the essence of international cuisine and is the prime location to start your night.
- Flinders Street – connecting Flinders Mall with The Strand, Flinders Street East boasts an eclectic mix of restaurants, nightclubs, pubs and wine bars.
- City Lane and City Arcade – located on Flinders Street is Townsville’s newest precinct. Opening in 2014, City Lane provides visitors with a mix of dining options, bars and shopping.
- Gregory Street – branching from The Strand, Gregory Street provides open-air café dining and several boutique shopping outlets.
- The Strand and Breakwater – 2.5km beachfront framing the city centre and home to Jupiter’s Casino.
Magnetic Island is only 20 minutes on the SeaLink Queensland ferry from Townsville City and once you’ve docked it’s straight into island life. Two thirds of Magnetic Island is National Park with secluded but easily accessible bays and golden beaches. There are a vast range of activities available including boat trips around the island, parasailing, water sports, golf, snorkelling, jet skiing, fishing, horse riding and much more. The Forts Walk is home to Northern Australia’s largest colony of koalas. The 90 minute return walk is the best place to spot koalas in the wild. Along the way you will come across the WWII fortification on the eastern seaboard.
History of Life in the Tropics
Take a self guided walking tour of Townsville and you will discover a city with more than a few good tales to tell. You can download a free guided walking tour from Townsville City Council Heritage Trails.
Visit Townsville North Queensland Holidays for more information or to plan your next holiday.