That's a wrap: Thanks for a great festive season
CHRISTMAS may be over but staff at Townsville Airport are still celebrating the festive season,thanking the thousands of passengers and community members who participated in their 12-day festive countdown ahead of Santa’s arrival.
Special congratulations go to all the schools and childcare facilities that participated in the airport’s popular Christmas Tree decorating competition,with the top three trees as voted for on social media going to:
- 1st Place ($1000 Tech2Go voucher) – Pre-Prep at Riverview Play Centre (1776 likes)
- 2nd Place ($500 cash) – Before and After School Care at Good Shepherd Catholic School (933 likes)
- 3rd Place ($200 cash) – Mundingburra State School Outside School Hours Care (621 likes)
Townsville Airport Chief Operating Officer Kevin Gill said the competition had been a hit with passengers and the community alike and thanked everyone for their support.
“We’d like to say a huge thank you to all 15 schools and childcare centres that entered our Christmas tree competition – your colourful trees were a big hit with our passengers and helped to brighten up the terminal over the festive season,” Mr Gill said.
“We’re pleased to be able to present our winners Riverview Play Centre, Good Shepherd Catholic School Before and After School Care and Mundingburra Outside School Care with their prizes: their enthusiasm for the competition was contagious, as was that of all participants.
“We’d also like to make special mention of Osborne State School, whose principal made the three-hour round trip to the airport twice to make sure her students didn’t miss out. And to make it even more special, our third placed winner,Mundingburra State School, announced they would donate their winnings to Osborne State School. What a fantastic gesture of community spirit!
“All of their support helped make the competition a great success, with the campaign attracting more than 5300 Facebook ‘likes’ over the 12 days, with a reach of more than 85,000 people. Added to our other activities over the 12-day countdown, and the full campaign had a reach of more than 240,000 people. It certainly highlights North Queensland’s love affair with Christmas.
“I’d also like to thank our partners, Lagardère Travel Retail, Airport Retail Enterprises and ISS Services for sponsoring the competition and supporting the airport.”
The Christmas Tree competition, launched on December 14, kicked off 12 days of fun activities in the terminal, including a book drive which saw $5000 in books donated to Ronald McDonald House in Townsville.
Final results of the Christmas Tree decorating competition are:
1. Riverview Play Centre – Pre-prep (1776 likes)
2. Good Shepherd Catholic School – Before and After School Care (933 likes)
3. Mundingburra State School Outside School Hours Care (621 likes)
4. Kindy Wattle Children at James Cook Early Learning Centre (317 likes)
5. Currajong State School – 1B/D (259 likes)
6. Osborne State School (197 likes)
7. St Anthony’s Catholic College (186 likes)
8. Kelso State School (183 likes)
9. Little Snappers Riverway Swim School (169 likes)
10. Coral Sea Early Learning Centre (141 likes)
11. Milestones Early Learning Centre (126 likes)
12. Townsville South State School (104 likes)
13. Guppy’s Early Learning Centre (103 likes)
13. Paul Sadler Swimland (103 likes)
15. Western Suburbs Kindergarten (91 likes)